Saturday 4 December 2010

Do photography students ask too much of their courses?


Over the last couple of months, through my involvement in FRAME and education in general, I tried to ask recent and current photography students what they expect from their courses and what they feel they should be taught. There seems to a growing resentment among those questioned about the quality and quantity of the education they have received especially given the rising cost of tuition fees.

Also, I have asked for feedback from current local practitioners who still hire assistants and have views about the trade skills of this new crop of aspiring photographers.

We are asking these questions at FRAME so as to devise an effective and rounded strategy to support new and aspiring talent in the West Midlands. This will hopefully be a multi-pronged approach that will involve current practitioners and current and former educationalists.

Below are a few of the comments and suggestions that have been made:

-       Students should expect at least 12/15 hours contact time per week with course tutors on higher level courses (level 4 and above)
-       Tutors on the courses should have been or are still practitioners of photography (preferably with 10+ years of commercial experience).
-       The individual modules within the qualifications should be based on ‘real life’ commercial scenarios.
-       A stronger emphasis on photographic workflow (both digital and conventional).
-       Far more workshops on the basic skills of photographer i.e. lighting, studio practice, digital work-flow, colour management etc.
-       Far more detailed and frank feedback both in tutorials and assignment assessments.
-       Clearer aims and objectives of both the individual modules and how they relate to the overall outcomes of the course.

Also students specifically asked for greater emphasis to be given on the following topics:

-       teaching of key camera skills (including medium & large format and darkroom practice)
-       Colour management
-       Basic lighting techniques or people and product photography
-       Health & Safety and its relevance to the photo industry
-       Detail business practice including marketing, accountancy, insurance, current legislation and copyright
-       Visiting lecturers who will give workshops on specific specialties such as journalism, portraiture, studio, architectural etc.

This is not meant to be a rant against education or dig at any particular establishments but merely an attempt to see where we are going with training of our future photographers and image-makers.

We (I) at FRAME are very keen to get feedback from all concerned especially current lecturers. Are students being unrealistic in their demands? Do you feel that they should be more self-guided in their learning at this level or do you feel the students want to be ‘spoon-fed’?

We are eager for all comments so that we develop and refine a strategy to support all new incomers to this professional that we dearly love.

Richard Southall

2 comments:

  1. After reading your letter to Professional Photographer (July 2011) I must say that I agree entirely with your comments. I am a mature student enrolled on a photography degree at a well respected college. Even though I consistently achieve high marks, I have been teaching myself the practical side of photography since my first year ended in May. I have also taken far more photographs in the ensuing six weeks than I did throughout the nine months of the course! I am from a business background can appreciate the pressure on the teaching staff at my college, all of whom I hold a great deal of respect for. However, the situation must be very difficult for those students who are not as motivated to self learn as I am. I feel the situation is dire and this leaves me in doubt over whether it is worth spending the money to complete the other two years of my course. I feel that I may achieve a more positive outcome by lots of self study and continual practice whilst slowly establishing myself in a very crowded marketplace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your comments. In many respects, there too many photography courses producing too many students for an industry in severe recession. I feel a fundamental review of the education offer to students is required and also a clear definition of the aims and objectives of higher education is needed. What are these courses hoping to achieve for the student and what future career paths are realistic for those graduates who complete these courses.

    On a personal note - please keep shooting and enjoy the process. All education is valuable whether it is delivered or self-taught!

    ReplyDelete