Friday 20 August 2010

The Adox film mystery



Over the last 3 months, I have started shooting 5'x4' B&W film again. This has been part of my new book project about West Bromwich. I was particularly drawn to experiment with Adox film emulsions and in particular the 25 iso variety. I was looking for high image detail capture combined with a warm 50's feel.

Both my lab and I was surprised by the results we received from the processed film. The film was processed in standard ID11 and fixed for 10 minutes. The processed film exhibited a warm yellow cast the around edges (up to an inch deep) and even when the film was re-fixed, the effect refused to disappear.

We have since tried several other developers with similar results (yes, we have changed the fix) and are now considering a more traditional developer such as Rodinal.
Fortunately none of the yellowing shows through on the scans we have produced and I am so far pleased with the results. Will report back once we have used the Rodinal!

No comments:

Post a Comment